Senior Full Stack Engineer (Phoenix/Elixir)
We at Marko strive to make second-hand the default choice. We will make buying and selling second hand online easy, fun and secure with our next-generation marketplace.
- Step 1: Make buying and selling second hand an amazing experience ✨
- Step 2: Invite everybody to join our community 👭💃🧑🤝🧑👫🕺👬
- Step 3: Make it even better 🚀
We're hiring a senior full stack engineer to join our amazing team of A+ people and build together the foundation of Marko. If you are up for a challenge and you want to make an impact, talk to our founder Luca Mausberg today at luca.mausberg(at)marko.ch.
As a small team, we work in a highly collaborative environment and you'll have the opportunity to participate in every part of the business from idea to production.
Impact: Build the foundation and shape engineering practices, team, and company culture.
Excellence: Practice your craft with others in a well-organized, fast-paced environment.
Ownership: Influence the direction of product and strategy — we care about your opinions.
We're looking for an experienced individual contributor (IC) who enjoys working alongside other experienced engineers and designers to quickly build and iterate on backend and frontend.
- Build the core, user-facing product. You'll build the product and everything behind the scenes from the ground up, having a huge and direct impact by shipping your work to users daily.
- Use modern web tech and influence the stack. We use the PETAL stack. LiveView with Alpine.js and TailwindCSS on the frontend, and Elixir/Phoenix on the backend to build a best-in-class client and infrastructure that scales. As we build out our stack, you get to make critical choices and lay the foundations.
- Create a robust and scalable backend. Build PostgreSQL database models, performant API, 3rd party integrations (payment, shipping, insurance), product analytics, transactional email, and service monitoring. We currently deploy to AWS to keep DevOps simple and will be looking for you to establish viable long-term cloud infrastructure and operations.
- Build UI components. You'll implement basic UI with TailwindCSS and Alpine.js based on Figma mocks and our design system. You'll collaborate with designers and frontend engineers on user-facing features powered by your backend code. We rapidly ship UI that has an amazing feel to it by polishing CSS, interaction states, and animations.
- Solve interesting technical problems. Bring your full creativity to solve super-challenging technical problems: from complex backend architecture with many 3rd party integrations, real-time product search, recommendation engine, highly scalable ecommerce platform, to nifty client-side interactions.
You're a senior IC that has built online platforms before and this is not an area you have to ramp up on. We don't require formal qualifications but do value learning — especially from one another. We are looking for someone that feels a sense of duty to the users of their work.
- Used Elixir and Phoenix in production before. You are a strong supporter of FP and keep up diligently with the advances in the Elixir universe. Being an active member of the community would be a strong plus.
- Highly productive while producing quality code. You enjoy pushing out features in a pragmatic and maintainable way. You know when to use duct tape and when to lay a foundation.
- Curious and quick learning. We don't expect you to have experience in every technology we use, but to learn and be productive quickly. Owning several repos and jumping into all of them doesn't scare you.
- Design sensibility. While you'll co-craft the interface with top designers and frontend engineers, we expect you to have a knack for great UX, such that you feel if something is off and can flag it, or better yet, polish it.
- Attention to detail while pragmatic. We strive for few slips in code, Git hygiene, and clear written communication — all while remaining low-ego and simply focusing on solutions.
- Good heart. We don't tolerate jerks and are generally just friendly people.
We'll treat you well. If any other benefits are important to you, talk to us.
- Competitive salary and equity — multiple options based on your desire for ownership.
- Shape the future – Improve consumption behaviour in Switzerland and abroad.
- Mental health support — you deserve to be happy and therapy sometimes can help.
- Paid time off — 5 weeks paid vacation, paid sick leave, and paid parental leave.
- Hardware setup — new MacBook Pro, big display, and accessories.
Do you want to learn more about how you can make an impact? We'd love to talk!
Email our founder Luca Mausberg directly at luca.mausberg(at)marko.ch.
- Include this role's title in your subject line.
- Send along links that best showcase the relevant things you've built.
- Tell us briefly why you're interested in joining Marko.
If your profile doesn’t perfectly match your experience, feel still free to apply, we are always looking for energetic talents.